A lot of small debts can balloon into one big headache. A simple way to get things under control could be to refinance your home loan to consolidate debt. So – is it right for you?
What is debt consolidation?
Simply put, debt consolidation is combining all your debts – credit cards, car loans etc. – into one single debt with a single monthly payment. When they are individual loans each of them have their own specific interest rates, conditions and balances – so rolling them all into one loan is both efficient and easy to manage.
But before you head down the debt consolidation route, here are some of the upsides and downsides to help you make a well-informed decision.
1. Instead of several times a month, pay once. Managing your debt becomes a lot easier when you pay down all your credit cards – as well as any interest you owe – with one repayment every week, fortnight or month over a fixed amount of tim
2. One fixed rate and term. This gives you certainty over payment amounts and keeps you disciplined in paying down debt
3. Less to pay each month. You may end up paying slightly more overall but stretching the term on your loans means that you could well be spending less each month.
There are always pros and cons to any loan decision. Here are some of the cons of using a home loan for debt consolidation:
1. You could accumulate more debt. When you consolidate debt, you free up credit. This might make you think you can spend more and, as a result, you end up with even more debt than you had before
2. Pay more overall. A loan with a longer term can help you reduce your monthly repayments but a longer term means more interest overall
3. Your credit score could take a hit. In the event you don’t keep up with the single monthly repayments on your loan, you could end up hurting your credit score or be in serious financial hardship.
Refinancing involves reviewing your current mortgage, and potentially swapping your loan to another lender who can better meet your current needs, wants and circumstances…Read More
Whether you’re after lower repayments or want to tap into the equity sitting in your home, refinancing can offer a world of benefits. Here are some things to be aware of so that you don’t find yourself hooked into a bad deal...Read More
There are 10 Reasons to Refinance. Save Money on Interest cost, Lowering your repayments and paying off your home faster, and if you want to access the equity of your home…Read More
Once you’ve determined your needs and done your research, including speaking to a broker, beginning to refinance will be straightforward. Your broker will evaluate your circumstances and help you submit your application…Read More
Is one phone call really all it takes to secure a lower interest rate? With official interest rates trending downward, shrewd mortgage holders may take the opportunity to call their lender to ask for a better deal…Read More
1. Current mortgage – Understanding what you have, Find out about your existing loan, repayments, interest rate and current loan structure…Read More
Your full financial situation will need to be reviewed prior to acceptance of any offer or product.
MBM Mortgage Pty Ltd trading as Maverick Finance | ABN 28 149 301 084 | Credit Representative 403019 is authorised under Credit License 389328
This website provides general information only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. We recommend that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances and your full financial situation will need to be reviewed prior to acceptance of any offer or product. It does not constitute legal, tax or financial advice and you should always seek professional advice in relation to your individual circumstances.